Thursday 4 February 2016

How many kids can you fit in the roof of our camper van?

The answer is at least three! We picked up Jacob 's friend Gustav yesterday, the perfect opportunity to try out the new mattress. The foam arrived Tuesday so on Tuesday evening I knocked up a cover from it out of an old duvet cover. It was actually a hit of a faff. When I ordered the foam online they offered the option to order it with a fitting cover. But the cover was gonna cost more than the foam so I decided I would make one myself.

I have the necessary sewing skills but what I hadn't banked on is how difficult it is to manoeuvre a 125x130 piece of foam inside a material cover. It sort of sticks and gets caught and just frustrates the living hell out of you. So I ended up making a cover which pops together on one end - the opening end of the old duvet cover - and a long velcro strip down the side. This hopefully means we won't have any problems getting it in and out to wash. And if I ever feel like making another one I can just make a pattern from that one :-)

We put it in on Tuesday night and it just fell into place as if had always been there with a rather satisfying mini plop sound. The upside of having one big mattress with a cover is that sliding things in and out is now super easy as they just glide across the top.

And as you can see the kids live it up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment